The Splendid Dottyback originates from Indonesia but is rarely imported from the wild. It has many small yellows, pink, and white spots that are surrounded by a deep blue. The area around the mouth and face is yellow with black stripes separating it from the spots. The tail fin and anal fin are bright yellow. The Dorsal fin is a dark blue with white spots and neon blue outlining the edge of the fin. The pelvic fins are mostly black with some yellow and neon blue. It’s a fantastic-looking fish that is also easy to care for. It is best to keep this fish with other semi-aggressive fish. It will not be intimidated by other fish, as it is bold and confident, especially when it comes to defending its territory. The ideal tank is at least thirty gallons with ample live rock and abundant holes, crevasses, and caves for the fish to swim in. Although this fish is great for reef aquariums, it may eat small ornamental shrimp. Large shrimp should not be a problem.
- Purchase Size: 1.25 – 1.5″
- Feeding: Carnivore. Feed meaty foods. If you can, feed live foods for a healthier and more vibrant fish. Feed once per day.
- Water Parameters: ~78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
- Temperament: Semi-aggressive
- Reef safe: With caution. Does not harm corals but may eat small ornamental shrimp.
- Color: White and yellow dots surrounded by dark blue. Some pink coloration on the body and spots. Yellowface, tail fin, and anal fin. Blue dorsal fin.
Although this fish is not frequently caught from the wild, buying a captive-bred fish is still something to be happy about. The Wild-caught trade impacts the ocean in harmful ways due to collection methods. By purchasing captive-bred fish, you are discouraging the wild-caught trade while supporting the captive-bred industry. This makes our beautiful hobby more sustainable.
There are no reviews yet.