Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans) Captive Bred Aquatic Technology™
Harlequin shrimp are best know for their surreal beauty and vibrant pattern. They are also know for their tendency to hunt, capture, and consume live starfish. We feed our harlequin shrimp either chocolate chip or sand-sifting starfish that are available locally at your favorite LFS or for sale online. Even though live starfish are generally required for successful care, a pair of shrimp will only consume about 1 starfish per month on average, making proper feeding relatively easy and affordable. These little guys will certainly make for an interesting and unique conversation starter in your tank!
Size and Care Requirements:
- Purchase Size:
- Small: 0.5″-1″,
- Medium: 1″-1.4″,
- Large: 1.5″+,
- M/F Pair: small male + medium/ large female
- Max Size: 1.5″
- Water Parameters: 72-78° F, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025, dKH 8-12
- Color: White with blue markings.
- Reef Safe: With caution. Will eat starfish.
- Diet: Live starfish or starfish chunks. Harlequin shrimp will consume most species of starfish. We recommend either chocolate chip starfish or sand sifting starfish because they are inexpensive and readily available at most Local Fish Stores. There are few common methods one can use when offering live starfish to harlequin shrimp:
How to Feed Harlequin Shrimp:
1.The entire live starfish is added into the display tank with the shrimp where they will quickly find it and begin to consume it. It should be noted, however that if a non-reef-safe species of starfish is being offered, care should be taken to ensure that the starfish is not able to consume any corals.
2. The live starfish is kept separately in the sump or quarantine tank. When the shrimp are hungry, the aquarist should remove one leg from the starfish and offer it to the shrimp. You can also try freezing the entire starfish and then defrosting pieces as needed.
Special Shipping Requirements: This item requires a UPS shipping options (Select 2nd Day Air or Next Day Air at checkout). Failure to select a UPS shipping option at checkout will delay and complicate your order.
100% Alive On Arrival (AOA) Guarantee for Captive Bred Harlequin Shrimp
We guarantee that every snail we sell will be Alive On Arrival and in good health. Should they arrive in any other state, we will either replace them free of charge (including shipping). If the total livestock loss is less than $20, we will issue store credit. For more information, please visit our 100% Alive On Arrival Guarantee page.
The harlequin shrimp with bred in captivity by Aquatic Technology™. In addition to captive bred fish, they also produce many species of captive bred marine invertebrates. If you would like more information about how Harlequin Shrimp are bred and raised in captivity, please click here to visit their website.
There are no reviews yet.