The Ultimate Refugium Starter Pack
Everything you need to set up, start and seed a healthy refugium.
Setting up a new refugium? Looking to establish a copepod population in your tank? This hand-selected package is designed to make that easy and affordable.
We only recommend adding all items at once into an established tank. This kit is not meant to help with system cycling. To cycle your system, please use our Cycle Kit instead!
- MarinePure Biofiltration Ceramic Media: An ultra porous ceramic media that allows water to flow through it and has an unparalleled amount of surface area providing an ideal environment for beneficial nitrifying bacteria and copepod populations.
- Fritz Aquatics Turbo Start 900 Live Nitrifying Bacteria for Saltwater: A super-concentrated blend designed to contain all of the strains of beneficial nitrifying bacteria necessary to seed and cycle your saltwater aquarium making it safe for copepods, phytoplankton, macroalgae, and other livestock.
- Clean macroalgae of Your Choice: We treat, quarantine, and inspect all of our CleanMacro algae to ensure your refugium gets off to a healthy parasite and pest-free start. Macroalgae also provide excellent habitats for copepods, zooplankton, and other beneficial microfauna.
- 5280 Pods™ Live Copepods: A three species blend of over 5,280+ tigriopus, tisbe, and apocyclops copepods of all sizes and life stages for maximum zooplankton diversity designed to seed and establish your tank with a healthy and diverse copepod population.
- OceanMagik™ Live Pyhytoplankton Blend: A nutritious blend of four strains of live phytoplankton designed to give your copepods, corals, and filter-feeding inverts a healthy and complete diet.
- Rinse MarinePure in RODI water until it runs clear then add MarinePure Cubes to refugium, sump, overflow box, etc.
- Turn off the skimmer and add TurboStart 900 Live Nitrifying Bacteria to refugium, display tank, or any other high flow area. This will introduce and establish the beneficial bacteria colonies in your tank and also make it safe to introduce the copepods, phytoplankton, and macroalgae. .
- Add Live Cleanmacroalgae to the refugium area under an adequate light source. Follow the directions on the product label and discard any water in the bag.
- Remove filter socks, turn off pumps and skimmer, and add the entire Jar(s) of 5280Pods™ Live Copepods to the refugium area. Some may also be added to the display tank if desired. Follow instructions on the product label for best results when adding copepods. Do not put the pods in the fridge, instead, keep them at room temp between 55-80 with the lid off.
- Begin dosing OceanMagik Live phytoplankton blend at 5ml per 20gal per day to keep the copepods fed and reproducing in your refugium/ tank. Store unused portion in the fridge.
- Store unused portions of OceanMagik in the fridge.